Unless Weber has an asphyxia fetish, I doubt he felt very comfortable in Bertuzzi’s chokehold on Wednesday. A little of this and a little of that and we could have ourselves a real good time tonight.
(Never gets old)
Apparently during the 2012 NHL Playoffs anything goes! And all Setoguchi did was high stick…
Game 2 will be on Fox Sports Detroit, CNBC, CBC, and SportsSouth at 7:30 EST. Let’s Go Wings!
The Wings clinched a playoff spot last night with a 7-2 blowout against the Columbus Blue Jackets, but the next 6 games will be just as important. The Wings will face the Nashville Predators at the Joe on Friday, which may be the determinant of who gets home ice in the first round of the playoffs. The Red Wings are just one point ahead of the Predators and are battling for the #4 spot in the Western Conference. Unless the Blues have a major collapse or Chicago really steps their game up, it’s likely that the Preds will be the first round matchup for the Wings. The Red Wings have won 3 of their 5 meetings with the Predators this season, 2 of those at home, 1 in Nashville. Here’s a look at the first 5 games:
11/26 Nashville 1 @ Detroit 4
The Red Wings took down the Preds for the 9th game of the 23 game home win streak. Valtteri Filppula had two goals and an assist, Henrik Zetterberg had a goal and an assist, Danny Cleary scored a goal, Jiri Hudler had two assists, and Todd Bertuzzi, Jakub Kindl and Darren Helm each had one assist. Jimmy Howard had a .947sv% and stopped 18 of the 19 shots on goal.
12/15 Detroit 3 @ Nashville 4
This loss really pissed me off. Shea Weber’s two goals in the last 5 minutes (the GWG with just 1:36 left in the 3rd) gave Nashville the 2 points over Detroit.
12/26 Detroit 4 @ Nashville 1
Valtteri Filppula scored 2 goals, and Pavel Datsyuk and Danny Cleary each scored one to give the Red Wings the win over the Preds in their 3rd meeting of the season. Howard stopped 31 of 32 shots, but his opportunity for a shutout was ruined with just 2:12 remaining in the 3rd.
2/17 Nashville 1 @ Detroit 2
This was one of my favorite wins of the season — the one and only Pavel Datsyuk gave the Red Wings their 22nd consecutive home win with just 5 seconds left in the game. Captain Nick Lidstrom hit Zetterberg with a no look pass off the boards, who sent it up to the magician, who then blew past Ryan Suter…and the rest is history. I can only imagine what Pekka Rinne was thinking. Most likely it was “Oh (insert 4 letter word here).” Datsyuk also had an amazing assist…while he was lying down on the ice.
3/10 Detroit 2 @ Nashville 3
This was the first of the Red Wings 6 game losing streak this month. Although it was a loss, Datsyuk found a way to make Detroit fans proud. After Shea Weber blocked and knocked Datsyuk a few times as he attempted to make his way to the net, Datsyuk got back at him…twice as good. The video makes me giggle every time I watch it.
The next couple weeks are going to be tough, but if anyone can push hard and prove their excellence, it’s the Detroit Red Wings. It’s time to smash Smashville.
(stats from detroitredwings.com)
Welp…that was a bust. Ian White had a great game, Pavel Datsyuk had a great game (except one booboo), Nick Lidstrom got his 7th of the season, shots were 40-21 in favor of the Wings…so WTF?!
1st Period Highlights:
- SOG 12-8
- Loved the power play goal by Tomas Holmstrom (5:15, assisted by White and Datsyuk) … so sexy. All six of his goals this season have been on the power play.
- About 5 minutes later, David Legwand tied up the score (10:09, assisted by Smith and Erat)
2nd Period Highlights:
- SOG 15-5
- Halfway through the period Henrik Zetterberg got a PPG after some nice passing by Bertuzzi and Hudler
- Nick Lidstrom got his first goal since November 8th (11:30, assisted by White and Datsyuk) putting the Shwings up by 2
- What a bad surprise. Jordin Tootoo returned to the ice after looking totally struggs (def thought he was out for the game) and made it a one goal game (17:22, assists to Klein and Spaling)
3rd Period Shiz:
- SOG 13-8
- Jimmy Howard got a hooking penalty (seriously) and 22 seconds later Shea Weber tied up the game (15:36, assisted by Suter and Erat)
- Datsyuk made a mistake??? I’m sorry to be the one to break it to you but he’s human. Weird, I know.
- With 1:36 left in the game, Weber got his 2nd of the period (and within a 3 minute time span) — the game winner, assisted by Jordin Tootoo. What a lucky piece of shit.
Time to head back to Detroit to regroup. Next game: Saturday, 7pm, NHL Network vs. the biatches from Tinseltown.
stats from redwings.nhl.com