It’s been 175 days since the Detroit Red Wings played. 175 days. That’s an awfully long offseason for the Detroit Red Wings and their fans. I’ve attempted to keep busy by taking up 12 new TV series, getting a real job (ew) and pretending to like baseball (Wait—how many innings are there? How come there are 4 bases? Oh. Go Tigers!)
Over the last month, 9 Red Wing players have signed contracts overseas…and 1 in Denver (Oh Quincey…you WOULD). I’ve spent countless hours looking for illegal websites so I can livestream some hockey and get my fix. I’m pretty bitter that I didn’t see Datsyuk’s header goal live. ESPN2 airing KHL games??? Best news I’ve heard in months.
Let’s sum up what we’ve been missing:
Valtteri Filppula – Jokerit Helsinki (Finland) – SM-liiga
8 GP, 9 pts, 4G, 5A, 2PIM, +5
(Out indefinitely with UBI)
Jan Mursak – HDD Olimpija Ljubljana (Slovenia) – Erste Bank Eishockey Liga
4 GP, 10 pts, 0G, 10A, 0PIM, +9
Pavel Datsyuk – CSKA Moscow (Russia) – KHL
7 GP, 9 pts, 3G, 6A, 2PIM, +6
Damien Brunner – EV Zug (Switzerland) – National League A
8 GP, 11 pts, 4G, 7A, 6PIM, +2
Fast forward to 1:07 – game against EHC Biel (Tyler Seguin’s team)
Jakub Kindl – HC Pardubice (Czech Republic) – Czech Extraliga
7 GP, 1 pt, 0G, 1A, 0PIM, -6
We haven’t missed anything yet from Cory Emmerton (signed with SaiPa in Finland this week), Jonathan Ericsson (Vita Hasten in Sweden), Drew Miller (Braehead Clan in Scotland – EIHL), Zetterberg (joining Damien Brunner on EV Zug in Switzerland), or Kyle Quincey (Denver Cutthroats…have I been watching too much Dexter or is that really graphic? – CHL).
Overall, I’m pretty impressed with what (4/5 of) the guys have been doing abroad and am interested to see how the other 5 look after a long summer. Wishing Filppula a quick recovery.
stats from hockeydb.com
The Red Wings hope to win for the 3rd time against Colorado this season when they visit the Pepsi Center tonight at 8pm EST (FSD). Here are some key things to watch for tonight’s game:
- The Avalanche are coming off two straight wins and hope to end the Red Wings current 7 game winning streak
- Center Ryan O’Reilly leads a young group of Avalanche forwards in scoring, and had five points in the past two Colorado victories
- Former Red Wings Defenceman Kyle Quincey leads the Avalanche in Avg. Ice Time with just under 23 minutes per game. Half of his 16 points have come on the man advantage (3G, 5A)
- Jimmy Howard is 4-0-1 in his past six starts against Colorado
- Brad Stuart has the Red Wings lone short handed goal this season. The Avalanche have given up only one shorty all season (tied for 2nd in the league)
- The Red Wings have won a league high 13 games when scoring the first goal of the game
- As usual, the Red Wings find themselves near the bottom of the league in team penalty minutes. Only Phoenix has spent less time in the box this season.
Should be a fun one from Colorado. They have an amazing young core of forwards and will give the Red Wings D everything they want. I’ll be tweeting all along the way!
Oh and PS