This edition of Fresh Faces will look at Jordin Tootoo (#22), a 29-year-old right winger and Manitoba native. After playing four seasons with the Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL), Tootoo was selected by the Nashville Predators in the 4th round of the 2001 NHL draft. He played there for 8 of the last 9 seasons (played for the Preds’ AHL affiliate Milwaukee Admirals during the 2004-2005 lockout). Jordin won a gold medal as the captain of Canada’s under-18 team at the 2000 Four Nations tournament, and helped Team Canada win silver at the 2003 IIHF World U-20 Hockey Championship. Of Inuit and Ukrainian descent, he is both the first Inuk player and the first player to grow up in Nunavut to participate in an NHL game (Nunatsiaq News).
While only 5’9, Tootoo is best known for his physical play and being more than willing to drop the gloves. He has recorded two Gordie Howe hat tricks during his career—my fav!!! Even though he draws a lot of penalties (725 PIM in 486 regular season NHL games), the Red Wings will greatly benefit from having a guy like him on the roster. Check out some of his fights from last season…but not before you mute the sound. Nice montage, weak song choice.
“His gloves dropped faster than panties on prom night!” –My mom
There is a softer side of Jordin that tends to be overlooked due to his badass persona—he is an active community member and avid philanthropist. He established the Team Tootoo fund, which helps support nonprofit organizations that address suicide awareness and prevention, as well as nonprofits supporting children and teens in need. He established the fund in 2011, after receiving treatment for alcohol addiction through the NHL/NHLPA’s Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program.
Welcome to Hockeytown, Jordin… we’re very happy to have you. Be prepared for some changes—most Wings fans eat, breathe, bleed Red Wings hockey. And when the crowd at the Joe cheers, we’re actually cheering for YOU, the players…not because they showed Carrie Underwood on the jumbotron.
Make sure to follow Jordin on Twitter: @JTootoo22, @TeamTootooFund
and Instagram: kudluk22
hockeydb.com, hockeyfights.com, cfmt.org
Welp…that was a bust. Ian White had a great game, Pavel Datsyuk had a great game (except one booboo), Nick Lidstrom got his 7th of the season, shots were 40-21 in favor of the Wings…so WTF?!
1st Period Highlights:
- SOG 12-8
- Loved the power play goal by Tomas Holmstrom (5:15, assisted by White and Datsyuk) … so sexy. All six of his goals this season have been on the power play.
- About 5 minutes later, David Legwand tied up the score (10:09, assisted by Smith and Erat)
2nd Period Highlights:
- SOG 15-5
- Halfway through the period Henrik Zetterberg got a PPG after some nice passing by Bertuzzi and Hudler
- Nick Lidstrom got his first goal since November 8th (11:30, assisted by White and Datsyuk) putting the Shwings up by 2
- What a bad surprise. Jordin Tootoo returned to the ice after looking totally struggs (def thought he was out for the game) and made it a one goal game (17:22, assists to Klein and Spaling)
3rd Period Shiz:
- SOG 13-8
- Jimmy Howard got a hooking penalty (seriously) and 22 seconds later Shea Weber tied up the game (15:36, assisted by Suter and Erat)
- Datsyuk made a mistake??? I’m sorry to be the one to break it to you but he’s human. Weird, I know.
- With 1:36 left in the game, Weber got his 2nd of the period (and within a 3 minute time span) — the game winner, assisted by Jordin Tootoo. What a lucky piece of shit.
Time to head back to Detroit to regroup. Next game: Saturday, 7pm, NHL Network vs. the biatches from Tinseltown.
stats from redwings.nhl.com