2 points for Ericsson: I’ll drink to that
Jonathan Ericsson had a 2-point game in the Detroit Red Wings’ 6th straight win tonight. The Detroit Red Wings outshot the Tampa Bay Lightning 35-23 and won 64% of the faceoffs. Pavel Datsyuk won 71% of his faceoffs and earned himself 2 points as well–that’s 6 points in the last 4 games for the great one. Jimmy Howard made some fabulous saves throughout the game and especially in the 3rd–upping the confusion regarding his absence on the All-Star ballot. Feel free to write him in.
Tonight was also Steve Yzerman’s first visit to the Joe as the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning. The Red Wings paid their respects to the longtime Captain with a tear jerking tribute during the 1st period:
1st Period Highlights:
- Wings outshot TBL 18-8 (that’s what I’m talkin bout)
- Datsyuk wowed us with his 7th goal of the season at 4:58 (assisted by Bertuzzi and Franzen)
- Jonathan Ericsson shocked RW fans everywhere by scoring his first goal of the season (11:04, assist to Fil) Mazel tov!!!!!!
2nd Period Highlights:
- The Lightning outshot the Wings 6-5
- With Ericsson in the box, Martin St. Louis got a PPG to get his team back in the game (9:35, assisted by Purcell and Bergeron)
- Steven Stamkos tied the game with just 0:14 left in the period (assists to Gilroy and Lecavalier) — he scores goals? Weird.
- Pierre McGuire used the word “toughly” and then quickly recanted saying it wasn’t a word. It actually is a word…and Pierre actually was an English major #funfact
3rd Period Highlights:
- The Wings stepped it up and outshot the Lightning 12-9
- Brewer did the only thing he could do to prevent Datsyuk from scoring on a breakaway — hooked him. Holmer put the Wings up 3-2 only 9 seconds later—after all 5 RWs touched the puck (4:22, assists to Lidstrom and Datsyuk)
- Darren Helm sealed the deal at 14:13, giving the Wings a 2-goal lead (assisted by Kindl and Ericsson)
Notes: Commodore and Emmerton were scratched, Eaves out 6-8 weeks after having surgery on his jaw
The Wings will head to Buffalo to prep for their 7:30 game on Friday night
Posted on November 30, 2011, in Uncategorized and tagged All-Star, Cory Emmerton, Darren Helm, Detroit Red Wings, Jakub Kindl, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, Jonathan Ericsson, Martin St. Louis, Matt Gilroy, Mike Commodore, NHL, Nicklas Lidstrom, Patrick Eaves, Pavel Datsyuk, Pierre McGuire, Steve Yzerman, Steven Stamkos, Tampa Bay Lightning, Todd Bertuzzi, Tomas Holmstrom, Valtteri Filppula. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.