Happy 94th birthday, NHL! For you, I am thankful.
Happy 94th birthday to the National Hockey League! For you, I am thankful. Yesterday was the first Discover NHL Thanksgiving Showdown: an Original Six matchup between the Boston Bruins (2011 Stanley Cup champions) and the infamous, 11-time Stanley Cup champions, Detroit Red Wings. The Red Wings gave us more to be thankful for by putting an end to the Bruins’ 10-game winning streak with a 3-2 shootout victory at TD Garden. I was super disappointed by the lack of “Pierre-ness” but I’m not worried… I’m sure we’ll hear plenty on Wednesday when the Wings/Lightning game is aired on VERSUS.
1st Period Highlights:
- Ian White got the puck to Henrik Zetterberg, who made some fantastic passes back and forth with Valtteri Filppula, resulting in a 1-0 lead (12:43). This is what happens when Fil shoots — the puck ends up in the back of the net.
2nd Period Highlights:
- Jimmy Howard went behind the net to gather the puck and ended up moving a little too slow for Nathan Horton and Daniel Paille (4:05), who tied the game at 1
- 35 seconds later (4:40), while the audience was still celebrating the Bruins’ goal, a little Mule/Bert/Datsyuk magic spoiled the party. After receiving the puck from Bertuzzi, Datsyuk kicked the puck from his skate to his stick and then BOOM…it’s in.
- Pierre McGuire discussed his interview with Ian White, asked about his face: “he said ‘it’s fine–until someone touches it'” … Please stay at least 30 feet away from our defenseman, Pierre.
3rd Period Highlights:
- Patrice Bergeron tied the score with an unassisted wrist shot (7:52) making things a little more difficult for the good guys
- After Chara got frustrated by Datsyuk’s high level of skill, he used his big, gumpy body to try and cause some damage to the magic man. It didn’t work out exactly how Chara planned—Datsyuk went after Chara and slammed him into the boards yielding this comment:
“What a job by Pavel Datsyuk! We talk about him being for the Selke as the best defensive forward…how about for the league MVP?!”
- Nothing during the 4-on-4 so it went into a shoot out
- Howard shut down Seguin, Datsyuk made us proud. Howard shut down Peverley, Hudler disappoints. Horton made us nervous, Bertuzzi saved the day. The End.
The Detroit Red Wings take on SMASHville at 7:00 at the Joe Louis Arena…stay tuned!
Posted on November 26, 2011, in Uncategorized and tagged Boston Bruins, Daniel Paille, Discover NHL Thanksgiving Showdown, Henrik Zetterberg, Ian White, Jimmy Howard, Jiri Hudler, Johan Franzen, Mule, Nathan Horton, NBC, NHL, Original Six, Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk, Pierre McGuire, Rich Peverley, shootout, Stanley Cup, Todd Bertuzzi, Tyler Seguin, Valtteri Filppula, Versus, Zdeno Chara. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.