Howard Earns 3rd SO vs Oilers
Jimmy Howard turned away 24 Edmonton Oilers shots in route to a 3-0 Red Wings victory Friday Night. Drew Miller, Niklas Kronwall and Valtteri Filppula added goals for the Wings, who have won three straight at the Joe. Some quick thoughts:
- Howard was sharp, as the Oilers were denied on all three of the power play attempts and numerous odd man breaks
- Lidstrom. What really can I say? Led his team in ice time again, great in all areas of the rink. Took a high stick to the face in the first period, but was fine. A +2 on the night
- Filppula again shined bright, with a finish on a beauty saucer pass from Henrik Zetterberg.
- Pavel Datsyuk’s line (Cleary, Holmstrom – and later in the 3rd Miller) was held off the scoreboard. Every other line found the back of the net. No need for alarm as Cleary and Datsyuk both looked better than they did against the Avalanche.
- Abdelkader had a big hit and fight in the second period. Lennart Petrell came to his teammates aid, and recieved the rare and embarrassing 4 minute double minor for instigating with a facemask (or in his case visor). As a former official, I must say this was an excellent call. If these guys want to play sheriff, they need to take the windshields off. Otherwise, let the big boys handle it.
Posted on November 12, 2011, in Uncategorized and tagged Dan Cleary, Drew Miller, Edmonton Oilers, Jimmy Howard, Justin Abdelkader, Lennart Petrell, Nicklas Lidstrom, Niklas Kronwall, Pavel Datsyuk, Tomas Holmstrom, Valtteri Filppula. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.