Wings 4, Hawks 3 SO
A little bit of drama went down during tonight’s exhibition game. To get it out of the way, the major downer was that Jan Mursak fractured his ankle in the 2nd period after being shoved into the boards by Dylan Olsen (and will probably be on injured reserve for a while). He has really been shining throughout the preseason and this injury is a real bummer. One of the other youngins, Brendan Smith, made some good plays once again but definitely made a few of those “rookie mistakes” tonight. I think he has a lot of potential and his mistakes will surely minimize with the help of the almighty captain. On that note — damn it felt good to see #5 on the ice. Lidstrom is a boss and it’s always such a pleasure seeing him out there.
- Conklin made some good saves but had a .875 save percentage, which clearly wouldn’t cut it in the regular season… but I think he’s just warming up
- Jonathan Ericsson — in general
- As much as I hate to say it, Brandon Pirri was on fire tonight and scored two goals for the Blackhawks during regulation as well as their shootout goal
- Valtteri Filppula had 3 points in tonight’s game, with a power play goal in the first and was credited with assists for Zetterberg’s and Lidstrom’s goals in the 2nd period. This WILL be his season.
- Lidstrom and Zetterberg each had a goal and an assist
- Ian White stuck out to me and I think he’s going to do big things for us this year. He had the most ice time out of any player on the Wings or Blackhawks tonight and got an assist for Lidstrom’s goal in the 2nd period
- Bertuzzi’s shootout goal was out of this world. I had to do a double take to make sure it was a 44 and not a 24(13) on the back of his jersey. So slick, so sick.
- Mickey Redmond.
- The Wings ended up getting the win with goals by Bertuzzi and Zetterberg in the shootout
This was a wonderful way to top off a great Sunday in Detroit. The Tigers, Lions and Red Wings all came out on top. We have the Red and White game coming up in Grand Rapids on Tuesday and another exhibition game in Chicago on Wednesday. So much hockey, so much love.
Posted on September 25, 2011, in Uncategorized and tagged Blackhawks, Brendan Smith, Conklin, Ian White, Jan Mursak, Jonathan Ericsson, Mickey Redmond, Nicklas Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk, shootout, Todd Bertuzzi, Valtteri Filppula, Zetterberg. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.